Web Design Programs
Train online to become a web design website professional
Since it first became widespread in the 1990s, the Internet has become a ubiquitous part of our culture and has created the demand for highly trained and specialized technology professionals. Web design is one of the world's most sought-after skills; it draws on both aesthetic and technical principles, and it focuses on the design, construction, maintenance and security of websites.
Though the vast majority of web designers work for companies seeking to make the most of their online presence, the field is not limited to commercial applications. Rather, students in web design programs learn the artistic and practical skills needed to build effective websites, regardless of their intended purpose. However, many web design programs do have a strong focus on commerciality, reflecting the burgeoning and growing need for well-trained professionals in this growing and increasingly important field.
Web Design Website Courses: Topics of Study
Some of the hallmark features of online web design programs include a strong focus on topics including:
- Website layout and design principles
- Programming languages
- Interface design
- Optimization of user experience
- Web engineering
- Web development
- Website security
A well-rounded program will provide instruction in these key areas, while allowing you to explore specific topics that interest you in more detail.
Top Online Web Design Schools
Some of the schools on this list offer certificates or diplomas in web design, while other programs lead to bachelor's degrees. Keep your particular educational goals in mind as you research these well-regarded online web design programs:
- International Academy of Design and Technology. This top-rated program provides an unsurpassed balance of affordability, instructional excellence, student satisfaction and comprehensive training. It is one of the most well-rounded online web design programs in the United States.
- Franklin University. One of the most attractive aspects of Franklin University's web design school is that students can study web technologies as part of a concurrent Master of Business Administration (MBA) program.
- Colorado Technical University. Specializing in 3D animation, mobile web design and emerging technologies, Colorado Technical University provides you with a flexible education that translates very well to the working world.
- DeVry University. Offering excellent affordability, students at DeVry University can access course materials and work on assignments 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, as long as deadlines are met.
- Rasmussen College. This diploma program lays an excellent foundation for further studies or entry into the workforce. Using innovative software, Rasmussen College offers both associate and bachelor's degree programs.
- Kaplan University. Consistently ranked as one of the top online colleges in the United States, Kaplan University's web design program offers a generous transfer credit policy and may be an excellent match if you're seeking to apply previous studies towards a bachelor's degree.
- Capella University. This is an outstanding program for students who do not have any previous web design experience. Capella's online web design program proceeds from introductory topics right up to advanced concepts, preparing students for successful transitions into new careers.
- Baker College. This is one of the most affordable options available, and Baker College makes not only current lectures and discussions available to students at all times, but you can also access lectures and discussions from past semesters if you're seeking to broaden your perspective.
- Champlain College. Champlain is recognized as one of the top up and coming online web design schools, offering excellent flexibility and seven-week course schedules.
- Full Sail University. This is one of the more expensive programs available, but it's also one of the more comprehensive. At Full Sail, you will learn web design for not only computers but also PDAs and smartphones.
Employment opportunities in the field of web design are strong, and growing at rapid rates. If you are looking for an exciting new career with excellent growth potential and you're both artistically and technically inclined, a web design education might be an excellent fit.