Information Technology Degree Programs
Train in information technology online
With businesses and organizations becoming increasingly reliant on computers and Internet communications, information technology has become one of the hottest new professions of the 21st century. You can get both undergraduate and graduate degrees in information technology, and there is a wide range of available specializations. Some of the specialized IT programs you can take include:
- Information technology for healthcare
- Information technology for business and ecommerce
- Network and information security
- Game design
- Information technology for web applications
- Multimedia information technology
If you have a particular interest in a specific field, you should begin your search for information technology schools by seeking out programs that offer the appropriate specializations. Otherwise, you can pursue a bachelor's or master's degree in information technology, depending on your current education level. In some cases, you may be eligible to pursue a master's degree in information technology information if you already have a bachelor's degree in a different field.
Top Online Information Technology Schools
A recent U.S. News and World Reports survey ranked these as the top 10 information technology online degree programs in the country:
- University of Southern California. USC's online IT programs earned high marks for faculty quality, student engagement and admissions selectivity.
- Sam Houston State University. This Huntsville, Texas-based school earned the survey's top marks for student engagement.
- Virginia Tech. Excellent faculty propelled Virginia Tech's online IT degree programs to a number three finish in the U.S. News and World Report's survey.
- University of Bridgeport. The University of Bridgeport earned the survey's second-highest marks for faculty credentials and training.
- Pennsylvania State University-World Campus. This school is a solid overall choice for students looking to take an online IT degree at a school with a proven reputation.
- University of West Georgia. The University of West Georgia's online IT program was the only one that outranked the University of Bridgeport in the faculty credentials category.
- Auburn University. Auburn is a solid all-around choice, with high marks in four key metrics including faculty credentials, student engagement, admissions selectivity and student services.
- Columbia University. Students in Columbia's online IT program posted the survey's second-highest rate of overall satisfaction.
- North Carolina State University-Raleigh. Another solid all-around choice, NC State's IT program is one of the most affordable options to crack the top 10.
- Hofstra University. This Long Island-based school has attracted some of the top IT instructors in the country to teach its online diploma programs.
Other schools that earned meritorious mention include:
- Southern Polytechnic State University
- Mississippi State University-Bagley
- Pace University
- Boston University
- Georgia Southern University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Robert Morris University
- North Carolina A&T State University
- Iowa State University
- George Mason University
Keep in mind that while these schools provide an excellent starting point for your research, they should not be considered your only options. There are hundreds of quality online IT programs offered through accredited schools, and you should carefully research all available choices.
Post-Graduation Career Paths
When you study information technology in school at a well-regarded institution, you are building in-demand skills that lead to flexible career opportunities. Many medium- and large-sized companies have dedicated information technology departments, which manage the business's day-to-day computer architecture, information security and technical support needs. IT professionals are employed part-time or full-time by such companies.
You can also work as a self-employed freelancer, which requires you to do more networking in order to build up a client base, but can lead to higher hourly wages and offers a great deal of flexibility. If you like, you can take a part-time permanent position and freelance in your off hours until you feel you've built up a large enough client base to go freelance.